This little light of mine...

A good friend of mine told me that he really liked lights. You know, Christmas lights, streetlights, and starry nights. But I remember he said something about really liking the concept of light, too. Like a light shining among sheer darkness.

We all know the analogy that Jesus makes in the book of John:

Dispute Over Jesus’ Testimony



When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”


The Pharisees challenged him, “Here you are, appearing as your own witness; your testimony is not valid.”

Jesus answered, “Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid, for I know where I came from and where I am going. But you have no idea where I come from or where I am going. You judge by human standards; I pass judgment on no one. But if I do judge, my decisions are true, because I am not alone. I stand with the Father, who sent me. In your own Law it is written that the testimony of two witnesses is true. I am one who testifies for myself; my other witness is the Father, who sent me.”


Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”


“You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

John 8:11-20 NIV


God's people were waiting for the Messiah, for many years they waited and waited, until one day, a baby boy was born  in a manger and changed the earth's existence forever. His name, of course, was Jesus, and now the people he had come to save, the people that has been searching for that blessed sign of hope for years, didn't believe He was the One.

Sometimes people just refuse, I guess. But the important thing here, I think, is the first verse when Jesus says He IS the light. He IS the One that they were searching for.

And although a few people disputed this, many came to know God through Jesus, stopped walking in darkness, and came into His amazing light.

I may be boring you. You may be sitting here reading this thinking, "Thanks for the Bible story, Carly! Can you read me another one? I just looooove hearing stories I've heard a thousand times." Or maybe you truly do think this is interesting, I don't know.

But I now think of Jesus' words as a really good song. You hear it on the radio, and you LOVE it!  It's so different than anything you've ever heard. But since other people like it, too... it's requested on the radio stations more and more until it is played over and over and over and you begin to think it's a little overplayed.

I challenge you to think of the Word's of Jesus as something new and exciting and different every time you hear them. Sure, they have the same melody, and you might hear them a lot. But the message is so beautiful and profound that there is no way you can "over-read" it. The Bible has been around for a long time, folks... it's rarely revised and it's ready for you to read!

So, back to the light thing. One great thing about scripture is its ability to connect to other parts of scripture, like when Jesus talks about light another time in Matthew when he says that WE are the light of the world.

Maybe you haven't heard that one before. It's real, I promise:

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven..."

Matthew 5:14-16 NIV

We've already established that Jesus is the Messiah, the hope everyone has been waiting for. And Jesus says that He is the light of the world, but we are, too?

"Does that mean we have to shine our lights too, Carly?"

But of course it does! Jesus said this for a reason. With Him on our side, we truly can be a light to others and share the hope of Jesus with everyone. It's what we were made to do-- glorify God.

So, go get your "this little light of mine" and share it with the world. Don't hide it under a bushel, share the hope that you've found in Him.

Here's a prayer to get ya started:

Dear God,

I do want to follow you. I love the idea of being a light to others and I want to spread your light so everyone can see. But it's hard sometimes, Lord. It is really difficult to go out of my comfort zone and love those you've called me to love. Please help me, Jesus. I know I can do all things through You, and I'm asking for your grace, peace, and strength to face the darkness.

Amen

Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer