Staying Connected

Do you have those friends that you could literally not talk to for a year, and then you run into them and talk for hours like nothing happened? These are the good kinds of relationships-- those that produce fruitful, edifying conversation and are sustained by God's grace and not our own efforts. (How could they be a result of our doing? We haven't talked to that person in a year!)

I have a few friends like that. They're the good ones-- the ones I can go to for anything, and the one's whose connection is effortless. So effortless, in fact, that I forget about them sometimes because I don't have to constantly work to maintain their affections. I know they'll be there, and I'll always be there for them, and that's that.

But I feel bad sometimes. I feel like I don't give these people enough credit. I don't tell them I love them enough, and sometimes when I do tell them "HEY I LOVE YOU!" out of the blue, it seems random and disingenuous because the connection has been lost a little bit. Sure, we can get it back pretty easily, but it's been set back a few notches.

*Enter religious talk*

Have you ever felt like that about God? For some reason, today I've been reminded over and over (S/O to the Holy Spirit, for calling on me a few times) that I've lost my connection to God recently. And for once, I'm not coming to Him because I need something or I'm lonely but because I miss him. I want to tell Him I love Him. I want to reconnect.

I feel like Christians go through phases. You're either in the bad phase, where life sucks and you're hurting and alone and God is the only One there to fix you, or you're in the good phase, and everything is rainbows and butterflies and you forget God exists. You forget He's the one who gave you all those good things. You no longer feel the urgency to be closely tied to His side, and like a buoy in the ocean, you slowly (but steadily) drift apart.

God never stops loving us. He never stops pursuing us. He doesn't just sit on the shoreline calling out, "Have a nice wander! Hope you find yourself! See you whenever!" He is constantly reaching out and trying to pull us back in. There is nothing (not even the gravitational pull of the moon that causes waves and our constant drifting back into the ocean) that can separate us from His love. (See Romans 8:38)

He desires to be in constant connection with you... kinda like you are constantly connected to your boyfriend, messaging him all day about stupid things like omelets and Spanish projects.

...No?

.....That just me?

Oh well. You get the point.

When things are good, we should never let ourselves fall victim to an unconnected relationship with the Lord. When you hear that little whisper in your ear, or that feeling in the pit of your stomach, don't ignore it. Don't let the lies of Satan convince you that because you're happy, you don't need the Lord. You always do, and He will always always be willing to take you in His arms once again.

And it'll be awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer