LOVE IS PATIENT.

I'm afraid our world is very troubled. Shocker-- I know. But it is completely true. Our earth fails to love. It fails to love one another, fails to love our enemies, fails to truly love our spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc.

So many times I open up by Bible for comfort for myself, for ailing for my confusion and trials. And yesterday was a day that shall live in my heart forever-- the famous love passage was read. If you haven't already, go to http://www.biblegateway.com/ and read 1 Corinthians 13.

It puts a lot of emphasis on love:

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-4 NIV


So, clearly love is a big deal. In the next few blog posts, I'm going to decipher what the Bible says about love and each attribute 1 Corinthians 13 mentions. Patience, kindness, selfishness, etc.

Today, we talk about patience. I'm afraid that this world is far from patient, we rush to get things done, we expect things done perfectly in a short amount of time, the list could go on and on.

Are you patient with other people? Do you rush into things? Do you condemn people as "bad people" without really getting to know them, or trying to understand them? Love is patient. It should be given freely, no matter how long it takes to sink in.

Love waits for God. It doesn't make rash decisions without God's hand moving through it. Love listens and waits for God's plans to unravel.

So many things have been mentioned in just ONE aspect of the passage we're reading. So, if you take one thing away from today, take patient love, love that waits and listens to God, because His plan is always good.

Dear God,

So often we think that we have it all figured out, and we rush into everything, just as the world around us does. Please give us patient love, and help us wait for when You tell us it is right. Help us be patient with others, and give out love anywhere and everywhere, not just when it is convenient for us in our busy lives.

Help us trust in Your plan, and live patiently, even when it is difficult for us to see You.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer