Worms on a sidewalk.

So I'm just going to start out by saying I get joy in the seriously weirdest things ever. Like, seriously. I love when songs are remade into Spanish. I love when couples have the same hair color. I love seeing old people in love. I love seeing movie stars act like normal human beings. And for some reason, when I was walking into school the other day, I got such a sense of profound hope when I saw all the worms crowding the sidewalk to escape the flooded grass. It's weird, but I was so engrossed in why they were there, how they got up onto the sidewalk, and whether or not they'd make it with all the busy students trudging through the puddles.

I got inspired, let's just say that.

So when I started thinking about the little creatures, I began to realize what a marvel it is that they were able to even find the sidewalk! Aren't worms blind or something? They can't see clearly, and they move like a foot an hour... and somehow, when it started raining, they knew exactly how to get to dry land. I'm guessing some of them just kinda stumbled upon it, and some knew exactly how to get there. And my favorite possibility is that some of them didn't know how to get there, but there was this fighting spirit inside of them that was quietly leading them to safety.They were confused, and wet, and scared, but they knew that they had to blindly push through the doubts and reach the other side.

The other factor that was brought to my attention is how they got up onto the sidewalk! It seems insignificant, but worms don't have legs, you know. They crawl on their stomachs, and it seems just about impossible for them to be able to hoist themselves up onto a 5 inch sidewalk. How do you think they got there? Did they help each other? Did the wind blow them up there? I think it was the will of a strong, determined worm that eventually, like the little engine that could, fought past the impossibility of the situation and with the help of his determined Spirit, made it to the top.

I think we're like the little worms, in a way. We aren't that small, obviously. But when you think about it, and if you compare one person to the entire universe, we are pretty small. Also, I think people can get pretty stupid. More and more every day, actually. We think we know what we're doing, but we're pretty blind when it comes to how the world works. And lastly, when the rains come pouring down, we are (like tiny, helpless worms,) searching for higher ground. We don't want to stay and drown, we desire to be okay again.

Maybe you're going through a storm in your life right now. I know, they're awful sometimes.

But in case you didn't make the connection, the sidewalk-- the one thing that remains strong and never-failing-- is the love of Jesus Christ. And the will inside of the "little worm that could" is the Spirit of the living God. He is constantly trying to lead us to better life, but oftentimes we get so blind, and so stubborn, we fail to follow Him.

Matthew 7:24-25 NIV
Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

There are some of you who doubt. "There's no way a worm could crawl up onto the rock," and "there's no way to could have found it in the first place."

"That's illogical."

You're right. It's crazy. It still surprises me sometimes how God could love sinners like us enough that He desires to put His Spirit in our hearts for guidance. But I believe He does. He wants His children to be able to brave the storm with the Spirit living inside them, because He desires to bring home His children.

I pray you'll hear the word and put it into practice. Start building your foundation, because when the rain comes, I hope and pray you'll find the rock-- and climb.

Grace, peace, and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer