What are your plans after graduation? Part Two.

If I weren't frustrated by this question enough in my first post, I surely am now.

I'm not frustrated that people are interested in my life, or my "plans" for a career... no. I'm frustrated because that question very rarely has to do with what I'm actually excited/passionate about doing when I graduate, and more to do with whether or not their expectations match with whatever comes out of my mouth next.

For example, many will ask the "What are your plans after graduation?" question, and because nothing is certain yet, I will respond with something that has gotten me excited lately, which usually has something to do with a job of sorts.

They immediately try to equate my response to something they're familiar with, like "Oh, I had a friend that worked at a bank once," or "My roommate from college studied Marketing." Then, inevitably, the question that comes next is "How much would they pay you?"

I've been doing this Journey with my church called the OBSESSED Journey. We spent 4 weeks intensively studying our spending habits, our hearts for giving, and what impact we can have on the world if we were to fix our eyes on building the Kingdom instead of building up our own sense of comfort, control, and comparison.

I feel very strongly that if I make money the #1 factor in determining whether or not I have a "good job," then I'm making money my master. As Jesus warns us in Matthew 6:

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
-Matthew 6:24 NIV

I don't want to value money so much that it masters me. I understand that we need money to live, and that I can't work for free.

But it's so strange-- as soon as I mention anything along the lines of "It doesn't pay well, but I would love the work that I'm doing," people immediately pounce and retort, "You need to make enough to sustain yourself, Carly!" 

Which is a little insulting, actually. I know that. In fact, I've spent the past four weeks studying scripture and talking with mentors and hearing sermons about money and the intersection of God and money. The bottom line is that I trust my God to provide for my needs, and I want to use the gifts and talents He's given me to further His kingdom. Period.

I don't care about the dollar amount, so long as my needs are met. This simple statement is like a nuclear bomb being dropped in the minds of people I've talked to... they can't fathom how making just enough to support myself is okay with me. I guess it all comes down to priorities, and what I feel is essential when I'm searching for a job. 

Here is a handy list of things I do NOT consider important, and do NOT wish to let master me:

1. The prestige of the company
2. The job title
3. Others' wishes and expectations for my life

Conversely, here are the only three things I care about:

1. Am I making enough to sustain myself, and have a modest amount of savings for emergencies, etc?
2. Am I being paid "fairly" for the work I'm doing? (Please note: if both the employer and employee are satisfied with the payment the employee is receiving in exchange for the work they're providing for the employer, I consider this to be "fair.")
3. Am I furthering the Kingdom of God in some way? (It's hard to find a job where this wouldn't be true... unless I was working for a regime that participates in mass murder, child labor, slavery, etc.)

I'm a simply lady. I'm not asking for a lot, and I know that the Lord is preparing me for meaningful work that will provide for my needs. I have peace about both of those things, but it seems that worldly definitions of success are constantly tearing away little pieces of peace and I want to reclaim them.

So, here's to trusting and ditching my "plans" for His.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer