The Devil's Dance

Today we'll be reflecting on Paul's letter to the Romans, a special passage that I selected because it makes me feel less alone. It's one of Paul's rather rant-ish monologues, so maybe that's why I relate to it so much. Or perhaps it's my human nature that connects me to his writings... the world may never know.

It's going to sound pretty depressing, I'll warn you. But I'm determined to understand it, because if there's even a glimmer of  hope in it, I want to find it. Read his words in Romans Chapter 7, starting at verse 15 (my thoughts are NOT in italics)

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

(Redundant, but oddly relatable)

And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.

(Wait, what?)

For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.

(I feel like this is just repeating the first part, but breaks it down a little)

Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it."

The last part sort of feels like a cop-out. When Paul does things he doesn't want to do, it's not him, but "sin" living in him? Are we all allowed to use that excuse?

I've been reading this book called Back to the Gospel. It's been pretty freeing for me, because it helps me get back to the basics of the Scriptures, and reminds me of my new self... the "new creation" I am because of what Jesus did for me on the cross. I am literally given new life in Him... my old, former ways are behind me and I can live my life free from sin, shame, and death. Hallelujah! 

2 Corinthians 5:17 makes it super clear:

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 

I stand firmly on this Truth, and know that I have been justified through faith in Jesus and in what He did. The old me is dead and gone, once and forever, and the price has been paid in full. How awesome is that?!

And still... as Paul so eloquently put it, there are times where "what I hate, I do." And it sucks. How is this possible... that I can be new and free from sin, and yet keep on sinning? Paul said it wasn't him... that it was sin living in him.

Is sin the same as satan? Does he make us do things we don't want to do? Why doesn't he just give up already? I'm already justified and my daily walk of sanctification means that I am growing closer to my Creator with very passing day. 

I know there are some folks who believe you never sin once you're saved. I don't know if I think the process of becoming "right with God" means you automatically become obedient to Him. If that were true, then why would Paul write what he did in Romans 7?

I think maybe this is one of those both/and scenarios... that until the world is put right, the devil is still going to be dancing around us on Earth, slithering his way into wherever we let him so that he can steal, kill, and destroy.

We don't want to dance with him (cue 8th grade dance vibes where you get asked to dance by someone you reallllllly don't want to dance with) but sometimes we dance with him anyway. We let sin in.

It's our jobs to every single day (multiple times a day, I would add) say "no" to him and "yes" to the work Christ is doing in us. It's saying "no" to selfishness and all the sin that comes along with it so that we can follow Jesus where He leads. 

Jesus was talking to Peter when he said the following, which I think is super telling and sheds some light on the whole "who is sinning: me or the devil?" discussion:

"Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." 

-Matthew 16:23-24

I want to be His disciple and I want satan to get behind me for good. I know I can't carry this out on my own, so my prayer is for Jesus to whisk me away at the dance so we can dance the night away. Preferably salsa dancing.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer