Mold Me, God

 Father,

I want a lot of things. I want the Reds to play well this season. I want to be a better cook. I want my plants to grow and explode with life in my garden. I want these cicadas to just hurry up and die already. I want chocolate.

I want to have a marriage that lacks nothing. I want my family to all live long, healthy lives with their eyes fixed on You. I want my friends to come to know Jesus as their Savior.

I want answers to hard questions. I want things to be immediate because I hate waiting. I want to be firm in my identity and stop seeking it in futile places. 

I'm starting to feel a little like Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. "Daddy, I want a pony!"

In all seriousness, though, I have a lot of wants and desires, Jesus. I take tremendous peace in knowing that You already know my thoughts. Your Word says that you know my words before they're even spoken... every thought inside my brain (...and You still love me enough to die for me? That's a huge deal... thank You!).

I've been meditating on Your Word, God-- specifically Psalm 37:4:

“Delight in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart.”

Wow- that's a big promise! I feel that there's something lacking in my understanding of this verse. Thank you for your people, who have shed some light on the original meaning of David's words.

I now know that You want for me to be like clay in your hands... pliable and ready to be molded by You. That's what it means to "delight in you," God. 

And as for "the desires of my heart," I know that when I desire more of You and "delight in You," I become more pliable in your strong and safe hands. You mold me to look more like You, and to have more of your characteristics within me. My heart creates room for more of You, and my heart is transformed into your likeness. 

In short, I start to desire the kinds of things You desire. All of my desires are boiled down to this: I want You, God. I want You because You desire intimacy with me, and if I'm to seek You and be transformed into your likeness, then I want that intimacy, too. 

I want to be closer to You. I want to learn from You. I want to be challenged and grown by You, the Good Father and Teacher and Coach. I want to desire the things You desire, God, and I want to be your literal hands and feet in this world to accomplish your purpose and to see your kingdom come.

My prayer is that you'll help me abandon desires that are not "of You," in other words, things that are selfish and rooted in pride. Help me desire You above all else, and mold my desires to be more aligned to yours. I trust that the desires that remain in my heart will be accomplished in Your powerful name because I trust Your promises and I believe them to be true.

Thank you for Who you are and the goodness you inject into me. Mold me and make me more like You... I am but a piece of clay in your hands. I trust you with everything and ask in boldness for you to continue leading me toward the good and perfect plans You have for me as I walk with you.

Amen







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer