The Chronicles of the Sabbath - 1

 I logged on to write today and then I read my last post from back in November. I actually laughed out loud. If you didn't read it, it's actually not ground-breaking or even inspiring, really... it's just a rant about how busy I am and how hurried my life is under the yoke of never-ending to-do lists. I laughed because upon reading it today, the day I finished The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer, it seemed pretty ironic, don't you think? It was almost as if God were smiling on me and saying, "I see you, Carly. I see how you showed up to be with me today, on your Sabbath. I am with you and I want to breathe life into you." 


And boy, do I need some life. Spring is coming and I'm eagerly awaiting the new beginnings it can bring-- it seems like this winter has been a long one. It's been cold and I've been in this constant state of fatigue for the past four months or so. It's been a slow-moving winter but somehow it also feels so fast-paced. I am working full-time, going to grad school at night, trying to figure out how to be a decent wife and dog-mom (both of which are harder than work and grad school, might I add), and it's just a lot,  to say the least. I barely feel like I have room to breathe, let alone really rest my soul.


Enter: my newfound obsession with the Sabbath. 


The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry is a fantastic book, full of truth and challenge and ideas on how to slow down your life and take the easy yoke of Jesus instead. Without running the risk of sounding dramatic and cliche, that book changed my life for the better. My eyes were opened to just how far off my rhythms were from the daily, weekly, and seasonal practices of the God I claim to follow.


I like deep, thought-provoking theological discussions more than the average person (just ask my husband, and ask him how much he simultaneously loves and despises this about me), but there was something so, so practical about Comer's book and the suggestions he gave for how to live the way Jesus did. From things as "simple" as driving the speed limit to as heavy as cultivating a full day of rest and worship every week (aka "Sabbath), I couldn't put the book down. And that's really saying something, because in general, I really, really don't enjoy reading books.


The idea is actually quite simple: set aside roughly 24 hours to recharge for the week ahead, Jesus-style. That means you're really only doing one of two things: you're either resting, or you're worshipping. Both of these activities can be interpreted very broadly, and what's considered rest/worship for one person could be the opposite of rest/worship for another. It's all about creating space to slow down and draw closer to God, enjoying the peace that comes from spending time with Him and soaking up His Presence. It sounds pretty nice, doesn't it?


Admittedly, this is actually really hard for me. I've been reflecting on why that is, and trying to fight the urge to fill my Sabbath with what John Mark calls "bastard Sabbath" activities, or things that seem sort of restful but are really just disguised versions of a to-do list or catching up on household chores. I love feeling productive and efficient so setting aside a whole day to rest seemed counterintuitive at first. 


However, the Scripture that's been grounding me and reminding me of God's goodness is found in Mark 2:


The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. - Mark 2:27 NIV


Jesus says this to a group of super religious people after they witness him picking heads of grain while walking through a field on the Sabbath. It was against the law to work on the Sabbath, so these folks called Jesus out. His response to their legalistic views?


The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. - Mark 2:27 NIV


God created this day for me, not to add another thing to my to-do list. He knows what we need and told His people to observe the Sabbath and set it apart from the rest of the week. God rested after creating the world, and if we're made in His image, we must need a little rest, too. 

I'm still tying to figure out what a day-set-apart looks like for me. This is the first day I'm writing and reflecting, but not my first attempt at a Sabbath. It's actually my third week trying out different things, and the first two attempts were pretty bad, I'm not going to lie. 

But I'm showing up, and I'm listening for God's voice, and it's getting slightly easier and easier to trust that if I set a day aside to just be with God and enjoy his Presence, that everything else in my life will work itself out. I can take a day off from the hustle and bustle to just be, and that's enough.

Here's to making breakfast and spending time reflecting and being outdoors barefoot. Here's to getting dirt from the garden underneath my fingernails and for lots and lots of naps. Here's to ask God to fill me up and remind me of my worth in Him. Here's to trusting that if I don't go to the grocery or fold the laundry today, the world will just keep moving on and it'll all be okay.

Heck- maybe I'll start this next week more than okay- more rested, refreshed, and ready to bring the hope of Jesus to a world that so, so desperately needs it. 

Peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer