Surrender, trust, peace, repeat.

Recently a friend of mine asked if I could pray for peace for her. That was all she said, so I'm not sure what specifically she needed peace for, but it got me thinking about peace and surrender. 

Because if we go to Scripture, it's pretty clear about God's peace, given freely:

«The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.»
Psalm 29:11 NIV

Jesus himself said:

«Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.»
John 14:27 NIV

He's basically like "stop being afraid and just let me give you peace, please! I want to!" And yet-- it's hard for us, for some reason. It's difficult for us to rest in His peace-- hard enough that we ask for people to pray for us to be able to accept it. Why is that? Why can't we just be like, "Okay, Jesus! I believe you. You offer Your perfect peace and I will take You up on that fabulous offer. Thanks."

It may be different for everyone, but I think I know why I struggle with peace:

Control. Trust. Surrender. 

I want to be in control of my life. And that's not a bad thing, I guess... But it is a bad thing when you want to control things you just can't. It's a bad thing when you want to control things that God  is working into His plan, using His timing, and His means to accomplish them. Control can be bad sometimes too. 

Especially when we are called time and time again to TRUST in God's perfect ways. Trusting and resting in peace are synonymous (in my humble opinion.) We trust in God's goodness and therefore are able to rest in peace. 

The book of Isaiah affirms this idea:

«You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.»
Isaiah 26:3-4 NIV

So, then, the question becomes "How do I trust in God?"

And this is an even more complex, variant question because it may be different for each person. But I do know that it's possible to totally surrender your life to the Lord and trust Him with everything. That may freak you out, if you're a control-freak like myself, but in my experience peace comes when we trust in the Lord. And trusting happens when we surrender to His plan and watch how His marvelous plan unfolds. 

I heard once that we spend so much time (perhaps too much time) praying for what we already have. Gods grace and peace are already secured through Christ Jesus. So, take a deep breath, surrender your troubles to Him, and let Him take over. Let him bless you with peace, because I'm sure He's just longing to do so. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer