2nd Chronicles 25-28


(Read these chapters now with the BIBLE READER to the right of this post, or at http://www.bible.com/.


CAST AWAY ALL YOUR IDOLS.


Did anyone else notice that today's reading was just a bunch of repeats? It was either, "he did what was right in the LORD's eyes" or "he didn't do what was right in the LORD's eyes."


And, almost 100% of the time, when a king didn't do what was right, it was because he worshipped an idol. I know this is probably a little ancient, considering most of us don't have a wooden pole in our rooms that we burn incense to. (If you do, let's have a little talk.)


But that doesn't mean that idols don't exist today. They're actually very evident around us, almost everywhere we go. To me, and idol is something you put first, before God. It's something that you use or do SO much that it becomes more important to you than your faith. Almost like you're worshipping IT instead of God.


Often times, we don't even realize that we're worshipping it. For instance, I get so caught in Facebook sometimes I realize I've been on for hours. I don't really realize it until about half was through, when I think if there's anything better to do, and most times, I can't think of anything.


So when we worship idols, it's very similar. We get caught up in sinning, or gossipping, or lying, or showing off... we forget what's really important. This is normal, though... to stray away from God a little. I hope it's normal, because I do it a lot! Does that make it right, though? Don't think so.


However, once I realize that "Hey, this is pretty wrong. I shouldn't be doing this!" That means that BAM-- you're accountable for it now. Once I realize I'm on Facebook too much, I need to stop instead of continuing to get on longer.


Once you realize that you're doing something to a point where you're putting it before God, don't just shrug it off your shoulders. Take what you're doing into consideration and think things through. Focus on what's REALLY important, your relationship with Jesus.


I hope that made sense. Please comment or email me at carlygaile@yahoo.com with any questions.


Go in Peace.

Comments

Granny said…
When we find ourselves not being able to wait to do something addictive, and spending more time than need be on it, then maybe we should back off a little, take time to evaluate what really is important in life, do something good for someone, converse with others, pray a little, read a book (maybe the Bible or scriptures...ha!) and put things in prospective. There is absolutely nothing more important in our lives than our relationship with God.
Carly said…
That's exactly right!

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer