2nd Chronicles 8-10

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK.

2nd Chronicles 8-10 are the chapters for today’s reading, but I don’t have my Bible with me… it’s in the other car. We’re leaving for a tournament all day today, and everything’s so jumbled this morning, I forgot my Bible! Shame on me.

But these are the chapters you can read if you’re on the plan to finish the Bible this year, I’ll be sure to read them myself once I get back to my Bible. I don’t have Wi-Fi, either, so I guess I’m at a loss. Oh well.

Today’s devotion is about, you guessed it, turning the other cheek. I usually get inspired for a message while reading the daily chapters, but there are things from the outside world that I can’t help but vent a little on. I’m sure you face similar problems sometimes, we all do.

It says in the Bible to “do this” or “don’t do this.” Sometimes the requests that are written seem quite silly. Don’t eat pigs, don’t wear clothing of different threads. However, these laws extinguished a long time ago, because Christianity wasn’t around then. Jesus came into the world, and saved us from our sins.

Instead of sacrificing all these things and obeying all these laws, Jesus became the sacrifice, and we are forgiven for all our sins. In saying that, when Jesus came into the world we were given a King. A savior. A new way of believing in God that was alive, and still is alive, today.

Unfortunately, there are new rules and new things that were introduced when Jesus entered into the world. You didn’t think you could get eternal life for nothing, did you? Just kidding  But seriously, there is a certain price to pay in being a Christian, and it’s hard sometimes. Heck, it’s hard MOST TIMES.

Especially when it comes to TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK. When I first heard this phrase, I was little. I didn’t exactly get it. I probably thought it meant “if someone slaps you, turn the other cheek” or something literal like that. Even taking it literally, why would you just let someone slap you AGAIN? Being the person that I am, I would probably slap them back. But, Jesus wasn’t taking this literally, so it doesn’t matter.

I think what He meant was that sometimes, people are mean. You might not understand why they are mean to you, or mean to your children or friends. But when they are, you get JUST as angry, right? You don’t even know the full story, but you get mad. There’s no way I’m going to “turn the other cheek”! Not when this meanie hurt the ones I care about!

But that’s what stinks about these situations the most. Even though you might want to slap the person back, and tell them what a complete you-know-what they’ve been... you have to trust what you know is true, and trust the word of Jesus.

Sometimes people are mean because they are angry and take their anger out of you. Sometimes, they are mean because they took things the wrong way. Sometimes… they’re just a changed person, and there’s nothing you can do but get back at them.

Except, there is a way to bounce back. The right way. Instead of focusing on why that person is mean, or what led them to do such things, just accept there’s nothing (at the moment) you can do, and just ignore all their meanness. Tend to who’s been hurt in the situation.

Tend to those who you care about. Tend to those who have gotten hurt, whether it is your friend, your family member… you. Don’t hang on the meanie!

Take it this way: if there was an accident, and someone you loved got ran over by a drunk driver. You don’t follow the driver with a machete yelling “YOU COME BACK HERE, MISTER!” You immediately run towards the one who was hurt, and check to make sure they are alright.

It’s normal to be angry at the “drunk driver” in your life, because anyone who puts pain on someone can anger a few people now and then. But it’s always important to know that even though THEY are sinners and they made a mistake or two (or three, or four, or seventy) that guess what?

You’re a sinner too. God doesn’t sit wherever He is and judge whose sin is worse than whose. We all sin, including me… which is why Jesus came to show us how to live.

THAT’S WHY WE TURN THE OTHER CHEEK. That’s why we are taught to forgive everyone, no matter what they did to you. If you choose to not forgive the “drunk driver” in your life, that’s your choice. Just don’t count on being forgiven by Jesus for your sins.

And, let’s face it, sometime people purposely sin to hurt you or someone close to you. But it’s important to just tend to the people close to you, and let God deal with his or her sins. Just forgive that person for their sins, because God knows that WE sin, too.

I hope that makes sense to everyone. If you have anything to say, please, comment below under the profile anonymous or email me at carlygaile@yahoo.com.

Have a lovely weekend. Peace out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer