2nd Chronicles 29-31

WAKE UP!

I had trouble waking up this morning. I woke up, apparently, but then fell right back asleep. Only had like ten minutes to get ready, which makes a start for a pretty bad day. Now that I look back on it, it was a pretty good day-- but those few hours of adjusting to stuff after you rushed like a madman, it's pretty stressful.

I know you don't want to hear all about my glorious day, so I'll skip that part and get straight to the good stuff. The Bible. If you haven't read already, today's devotion has a lot to do with the 2nd Chronicles 29-31, so read now at http://www.bible.com/ or with the BIBLE READER to the right of this post. It might help decipher my babbling :)

On a more serious note, I want to get a little deep and intense and talk about some big topics.

WHERE ARE YOU GOING WHEN YOU DIE?

This is one of the biggest questions asked by religious people and atheists alike, because HELLO, we haven't died yet. But a fact that we'll have to face one day is death, and I'm sorry if I sound depressed, because I'm totally not. Just trying to make a point.

I hear about death almost every day. For some reason, we like to bring it up a lot or something. Who knows. But for whatever the reason may be, we always hear "Ohh that's too bad," or "Their family must be heartbroken" or "They were such a great person!"

The point is, we hear about death all the time. But have we ever stopped to think about it a little? Have you ever questioned what it meant? Do you know where you're going?

There was a really great speech given by a King of Judah in today's reading. He finally woke up to reality, and realized what a rut everyone was in in his nation. He gave this big meaningful speech that arose the people to burn their idols and turn to God.

It was great for them, and I think it could probably do a little something for us, too. Here's what we got:

Sanctify yourselves, and sanctify the house of the Lord, the God of your ancestors, and carry out the filth from the holy place. For our ancestors have been unfaithful and have done what was evil in the sight of the Lord our God; they have forsaken him, and have turned away their faces from the dwelling of the Lord, and turned their backs. They also shut the doors of the vestibule and put out the lamps, and have not offered incense or made burnt-offerings in the holy place to the God of Israel.

Therefore the wrath of the Lord came upon Judah and Jerusalem, and he has made them an object of horror, of astonishment, and of hissing, as you see with your own eyes. Our fathers have fallen by the sword and our sons and our daughters and our wives are in captivity for this.

Now it is in my heart to make a covenant with the Lord, the God of Israel, so that his fierce anger may turn away from us. My sons, do not now be negligent, for the Lord has chosen you to stand in his presence to minister to him, and to be his ministers and make offerings to him.

Right now, it sounds like a bunch of bologna. I mean, some guy preaching to a bunch of people about their need to change, and blah blah blah.

But then I got to thinking-- this guy was pretty sweet! He had this little epiphany where he woke up from the evilness and decided it was time to change. If he didn't come at it with a positive attitude, who knows what would of happened. But he stayed passionate about what we believed, and the people changed.

I know this is a lame comparison, but when I woke up late this morning, I could of just rolled back over. I could of thought "Heck with life!" Buttttttt-- I didn't. I woke up and tried my best to make a great day, and it worked out alright.

I hope everyone can do the same right now. Let this devotion be your wake up call and do something. Do something that could stabilize your day right now, and that could even let you live forever in heaven with Jesus.

Accept Him into your heart, and be changed.

Email with questions, or leave a comment.

Peace.

Comments

Granny said…
I believe in Jesus Christ, therefore, I HOPE I get to go to heaven, but let's face it....we never hear from those who go before us, so do we really know? You know what, even if heaven is not a reward, it can't be all bad, living your life doing good things and trying to live like Jesus preached to us. It is just the right thing to do, and heaven is just a little extra then! I am hoping I get there, how about you?
Carly said…
I don't have to wonder whether or not it exists... because if we do live our lives for Jesus, then we also have to believe in all He says about heaven. I'm hoping I'll get there, too :)

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer