Nahum 1-3

Read the ENTIRE BOOK OF NAHUM now with the BIBLE READER to the right of this post, or at http://www.biblegateway.com/. Surprised it was only three chapters? God gives us miracles all the time :)

HOPE IS HERE.

Until today, I was just reading these stories in the Bible as if they had already happened, and all the lessons were already learned. They were facts, like in history class. But there was a little blip of a story in the side of my Bible giving the viewpoint of someone living in those times. I guess I never actually made it an effort for us to actually THINK about the people facing this kind of stuff.

Like what my Bible said-- imagine you were a little girl living in Jerusalem. Or worse-- the horrible city of Nineveh! These stories aren't just made up facts that back up a religion. They're actual events, that had actual people go through them!

So, in today's reading, the people of Nineveh were bullying other countries. People were genuinely afraid, and didn't know who to turn to. Have you ever felt like that? Like NO ONE understands, and you're all alone? I know I have... from one time to another. I hate feeling helpless, like I don't have choices.

Anyway, if you put yourself in the shoes of ancient people in today's reading, how would you feel if you heard God speaking through the prophet, Nahum? It would give me so much hope. I can already feel my burdens lifting!

The LORD is slow to anger and great in power;
the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished.
His way is in the whirlwind and the storm,
and clouds are the dust of his feet.


Nahum 1:3

So, next time you wanna punch someone "guilty" in the face, take a deep breath and think of how this passage applies to us. Everything is put into the Bible for a reason, it's not just there for facts. It's to give US hope in OUR suffering, and remind us there's a God of justice who loves us more than we can imagine.

Peace out, people.

*I'd like to thank my brand of Bible for adding the little tidbits that help me with my devotions. Thanks, faithGirls!

Comments

Granny said…
We are not to judge or punish...God will get the job done, in HIs time and His Way.

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer