March 8th -- Joshua 14-17

Read these with the BIBLE READER to the left of this post, or at www.bible.com

Well, today's readings weren't very wonderfully exciting either. Hopefully, this doesn't continue for too long... its hard to remember to read every day, since there's only a few people reading with me, and now I'm bombarded with the past couple of tiring readings.

But, enough about me complaining. There was a pretty memorable blurb of excitement in the beginning of today's reading, about a man named Caleb. He was one of the spies that had been told to survey the promised land, see if it was safe to enter, etc.

The others he went with were making everyone in the land melt with fear, which wasn't good at all. Caleb, however, decided to be loyal to God, and he lived for God wholeheartedly.

So, with all this goodness under his belt, Caleb went to Joshua and pleaded his case. He explained how GOOD of a follower he was, and how ruthlessly dedicated he was to God. In exchange for all this dedication, he asked Joshua for some land.

Joshua blessed Caleb, and gave him the land as God promised.

This seems like a short little story that doesn't really have a heart-binding message. But if I had to pick out a devotion for today, I think one thing is pretty clear, for the most part:

God honors those who honor him.

It's simple, yeah. And it's pretty cliche, it's totally true though! God told Caleb to keep Him first in his life, and Caleb obeyed. God doesn't let little things (or big things) go unrecognized, which is what's so great about our God. Do good things not because you want to impress someone, do it to honor God!

AMEN. Peace.

Comments

Granny said…
You are not supposed to "toot" your own horn. Do things in silent, to honor God, and those are most rewarded! Of course, all good things done are recognized, and make you feel good.
Granny said…
The Old Testament is boring a lot of the time. God was all about laws and being the disciplinarian, and Jesus is the "warm fuzzy" reward and the good stories! Remember, I have read the Bible, and I am a lot older, so if and when you are too busy to blog, and want to take the rest of your life to read the Bible (ha) Granny can hook back up, if you choose to put it on a temporary hold. Just a thought that I am your number one fan, and I can do whatever! Life is good.
Carly said…
Thanks for the offer! Haha but I guess this is just something I have to do for myself, read the whole Bible in a year, I mean. I might need help during Mexico, because there's not any internet! Keely said she'd help me with the website then.

As for today's reading, I agree-- the Old Testament is not the most exciting part of the Bible. But sooner or later, I'll move on to another part, I can't wait for the Gospels!

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer