Isaiah 50-52

Read these chapters now with the BIBLE READER widget to the left of this post or at http://www.bible.com/!

TURN THE OTHER CHEEK!

It's amazing how much God is foretelling in the book of Isaiah. He's hinting about the coming of Jesus, and even about how Jesus will one day come again! And today, whether He meant to or not, I think God was hinting to us about turning the other cheek.

Jesus often mentioned to people about turning the other cheek if someone slapped you. Not physically, I guess... but figuratively. People are going to try to be hurtful, and persecuting. But the Bible tells us to simply let them get their fulfillment, and turn the other cheek.

I've had some questions about being a coward if we do this. Like, if we don't do anything, then we're too wimpy to fight back. But I don't think this is true. The Bible is talking about if someone does or says something to YOU, to let it slide.

However, I think that if someone else is being bullied that we should stand up for others. We are taught to be selfless, and care for others first.


Isaiah 50:5-7
The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears,
and I have not been rebellious;
I have not drawn back.

I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.

Because the Sovereign LORD helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Therefore have I set my face like flint,
and I know I will not be put to shame.


Keep this in mind today, and forever!!

Peace.

Comments

Granny said…
There is that fine line between knowing when to actually defend ourselves from bullies and when to turn the other cheek. If you try to think like Jesus would do, it always seems to work out best for YOU. Maybe you don't feel like it has, but your conscience feels better and at peace.
Carly said…
You have a good point. Sometimes maybe we NEED to stick up for ourselves, but there's always that confusion of whether or not to do so. But if we think WWJD always, it never fails. It makes us consider whether it's worth it or not to pick a fight and stand up. Good thinking.

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer