Proverbs 4-7

STUFF WITH PURPOSE.

You can read these chapters with the BIBLE READER widget to the left of this post or at http://www.bible.com/, or with your own Bible if you want to! Only 4 chapters to read today, and let's just say they're... interesting.

When I started Proverbs yesterday, I thought they were going to teach me about wisdom, and how to be smarter or more knowledgeable. Being the geek I am, I was all "Woo hoo! How to get smarter!"

As you can tell, though, the chapters today were a little different. Just so I can get past all the awkwardness, I'll just come out and say it: it's talking about prostitution and giving yourself away before marriage.

Today's message is similar to that of the creepy clown guy that taught everyone in health class... stay abstinent, blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, I payed attention to the clown guy and everything... but until today, I guess I didn't really get it all.

Sure enough, though... it's written clear as day in the BIBLE about all the stuff the clown was drilling into our brains, which means that guy was telling the truth!

Like many things in the world... we might not agree with it. God has specific ways He wants us to do (or not to do) things, and we might protest it with all of our being---

But He is RIGHT.

Proverbs 4:10-14
10 Hear, my child, and accept my words,
that the years of your life may be many.
11 I have taught you the way of wisdom;
I have led you in the paths of uprightness.
12 When you walk, your step will not be hampered;
and if you run, you will not stumble.
13 Keep hold of instruction; do not let go;

guard her, for she is your life.
14 Do not enter the path of the wicked,
and do not walk in the way of evildoers.


I guess it's easier said than done. For all we know, the guy who wrote the Proverbs could be a married grandpa. But GOD's words are spoken through the author, and God's word is what we much keep faith to.

Our world is pretty different from the ancient world, too. Today, it's NORMAL to be an unmarried parent, or to cheat on someone. Maybe it was easier back then.

But all the excuses I'm throwing out-- they don't stand a chance against the Bible. No matter how much we don't want to listen-- we have to obey. God created YOU with a specific purpose, and He created other things for their own purpose, too.

Listen to what God has to say about your purpose as a spouse or as a single person, and trust that His way is always better. (BY THE WAY, IT IS!)

In a way, today God IS teaching us about wisdom. Regardless of the topic, following God is always wise :)

Email or comment with any questions.

Peace out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are an inspiration. :) This is a great subject for teen girls and what your doing by writing this blog is wonderful. Even tho I wont tell you who this is i would like to say you have touched my life in a positive way. God has many things for you to come! :) †
Carly said…
I LOVE THESE TYPES OF COMMENTS! I'm glad you like my devotions :) However, I can't really call them "mine" because of all the help I've had. My family and friends help me daily with ideas and content... and my biggest help comes from God who puts it all together. Thanks for the comment, feel free to ask questions or anything in the future! GOD BLESS.
Granny said…
No matter how old we are, if we follow God's wisdom in life, we reap many benefits. I am proud of you granddaughter of mine, for the wisdom you show all the time!

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer