Song of Songs 5-8

CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE.

Yes, I'm quoting Elvis. Believe it or not... even though he died of a drug overdose and had really weird dance moves, his song title applies quite nicely to today's reading. If you haven't already, read these four chapters with the BIBLE READER to the left of this post or at http://www.bible.com/.

Okay, so let me explain myself. First off... one of my FAVORITE VERSES OF ALL TIME was in today's reading:

Song of Songs 8:4
Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you:
Do not arouse or awaken love
until it so desires.


We all have those days when we feel like throwing in the towel, or just lying under the covers and crying our eyes out. What... I'm the only one? Oh, well this is embarrassing.

Regardless, when I have these types of days, I do the good little girl thing and open my Bible. At first, I just did it because it was the only thing I knew to do. But it was amazing when I did, because the verse I read was PERFECT for what I was going through. That's how I learn most of my favorite verses, and that's how I learned the verse I posted above.

I know I have my own way of interpreting things sometimes, but to me, this verse says "LOVE IS CRAZY! DON'T MESS WITH IT UNTIL IT'S GOD'S TIME."

Maybe that's just me. I don't necessarily believe that love is bad, though. We're told time and time again that we should love others. But the love expressed in today's chapters is more fragile. It can make you feel as if you're flying... or it can make you want to hide under the covers and cry.

So, I think that verse was just telling us to be careful. The next verses I'm going to post kind of tell us more about this "crazy little thing called love":

Place me like a seal over your heart,
like a seal on your arm;
for love is as strong as death,
its jealousy unyielding as the grave.
It burns like blazing fire,
like a mighty flame.

7 Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.
If one were to give
all the wealth of his house for love,
it would be utterly scorned.


Song of Songs 8:6-7

Doesn't that just say it all? Love can never be put out-- so don't rush it. Don't try and awaken love for yourself... just wait until it desires. Wait on the Lord, and wait for that special love in today's reading. Wait for it, because it's a blazing fire. It will never get put out, and if you try to handle it yourself you could get burnt!

Peace out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
...I don't get it. What exactly was that supposed to say?
Carly said…
I'm not sure what you're reffering to-- what my blog was supposed to say or what the Bible was supposed to say... but to ME, I think that the Bible describes love for someone as something that can't be put out. Something that, no matter how hard one tries... can't be tamed or dealt with by humans-- on their own. God grants us the good things, happiness, forgiveness, LOVE. If we trust that God has a specific time for this burning love instead of trying to create it for ourselves, things will work out how He wants it. I guess I just think about this love as a fire. If we try and handle it... we'll get burnt. If we are patient and wait for God to handle it-- let the CREATOR handle it-- then it will be awesome. I hope that answers any questions you might have... feel free to comment back or email me.
Lib said…
Carly, I stumbled onto your blog today and a few of these entries really spoke to me. Thank you!
Carly said…
Hey! Thanks for your comment. That really means a lot. I'm glad God gets to use us both in order to spread the word :) God bless!

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer