John 3-4

WHAT'S THE BIBLE'S VIEW ON ETERNITY?
I feel like the world gets SO many diverse opinions on eternity. There's one for every religion, and most political stances, and some TV networks... but which is right? Is there any way of really knowing?

I thought I'd offer some views on eternity, supported by today's chapters in the book of John. John the baptist is the one who prepared people for Jesus' coming, so he can be trusted :)

When I think of eternal life, I think of the verse that we've recited ever since we could speak. Coincidentally, it happens to be in today's reading.

Listen to the word of God:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Let's break it down, shall we? I think this verse is perfect to answer the famous question. It's simple and to the point.

First, GOD LOVES THE WORLD. He loves me, you, your parents, your enemies, your best friend.

Second, He gave His ONLY son to us. It's not like God has thousands of children that are His own flesh and blood. It's just Jesus. And He sent Him to die... for us.

Third, it states that whoever believes-- note that it says BELIEVES, not pays money to the church, or prays before meals, or goes to church every week, but simply BELIEVES-- will not die.

You will NOT die with faith in Jesus, because your soul will gain eternal life.

I guess no matter how much I try and string it out for you-- you have to make a choice. I can't make choices for anyone except myself, and neither can you. But I can try and persuade others to try and have faith in Jesus-- because I want everyone to be partying with me in heaven one day!

"...Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
John 4:13-14

Jesus was talking to a Samaritan woman at a well. He was explaining her this crazy thing about "living water" and "eternal life." The Samaritan woman could have just walked away from Jesus-- and screamed "YOU'RE CRAZY!" as she left.

But she had faith. She believed in what Jesus was saying, and because of her faith, her entire village came to know Jesus and become followers of Christ.

Like I said-- I can't make decisions for you. But I can try my hardest to try and be like the Samaritan woman. I've accepted Christ. My life here on earth has changed, and my eternity is secured.

What about you?

Think about it.

Peace be with ya.


Comments

Granny said…
John 3:16 is my favorite verse. It says it all. I chose it for my verse when I was baptized. For God so loved the world, He gave His only son, so those that believe in Him would have everlasting life. What more is there?

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer