Psalms 18-21

Read these lovely chapters with the BIBLE READER widget to the left of this post, or at http://www.bible.com/. Today's theme is...

GOD WILL RESCUE.

Okay, so I've been really into the TV series, Lost. My mom and I have been watching the previous seasons we rented, and it's pretty good! Addicting, really. In the last two days, I've watched 12 full hour-long episodes, just so I can be caught up with where Mom is. Talk about dedication!

But when I finally stopped sitting on the couch and picked up my Bible for today's devotion, I guess I had a little Lost stuff still stuck to my brain. (This happens when you stay up till 1:30 watching episodes.)

All throughout the reading, I keep thinking about how God is similar to certain characters in the show. They were victims of a plane crash, and many of them were lost at sea, and needed saving.
If you haven't seen where I'm coming from, this can connect to the Christian faith in many ways, especially because we need Jesus much more than we understand. Sometimes, we may feel like we're stranded alone in the ocean, or maybe you've already hit rock bottom at the depths of the sea.

Regardless of where you are, I know for a fact that everyone has at least had a few instances where they may of felt hopeless. Not to be a downer, but there are probably instances where you're going to feel hopeless in the future, because of the way our world is set up.

If we're not perfect, we can sometimes feel as if we've failed. Like we're lost at sea, just like in Lost.

Today's reading, though, gave a lot of hope to those who are hurting. There are a few verses I'd like to point out:


Psalm 18:17-19

He delivered me from my strong enemy,
and from those who hated me;
for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my calamity;
but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into a broad place;
he delivered me, because he delighted in me.



Psalm 18:40-41

You made my enemies turn their backs to me,
and those who hated me I destroyed.
They cried for help, but there was no one to save them;
they cried to the Lord, but he did not answer them.



Psalm 18:46-48


The Lord lives! Blessed be my rock,
and exalted be the God of my salvation,
the God who gave me vengeance
and subdued peoples under me;
who delivered me from my enemies;
indeed, you exalted me above my adversaries;
you delivered me from the violent.



I guess this is just... even more comforting to me. I know I say that everyday, that the Word is comforting. But with all the crap we have to endure through everyday, I guess it's normal to find comfort in the Bible, over and over again.

In the end, it's important to understand that God WILL save you. God will be the character on Lost who dives out into the water to save the drowning. He WILL save you, no matter where you are or what you've done. Times have changed since these Psalms were written. As long as you are willing to repent for your sins and have faith in Jesus Christ, you can be saved.
However, YOU have to call out to Him. No one will know you're drowning unless you ask for His help, and call to Him. He wants to be invited into your soul, to help you with the struggles you face today, and the ones you'll face later on in life.

But you have to ask for it. Ask to be saved by the only one who will last.

Peace out.

Comments

Granny said…
It never fails....reading the scriptures gives you comfort. It always seems to be just what you need at the time.
Carly said…
It doesn't "just happen" either, everything we read in the Bible seems to be put there for a reason because is WAS put there for a reason!

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer