1st Kings 13-15


CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?


I know, I know. I'm starting today's devotion off pretty randomly. But throughout the reading, I felt like the people were given so many chances to turn around, and so many chances they could confess their sins. They were almost ignoring God. They had how many Kings in today's reading, at least 4? And still, not one of them was able to make a big difference. One guy tried to turn things around, but he didn't. None of them did.


Like I said, they had plenty of opportunities to, also. It seemed as if God was literally slapping them in the face telling them "HELLO?!?! I'M RIGHT HERE! CAN YOU HEAR ME? FOLLOW ME!" But, they weren't listening to him. It's a shame, to me. And that doesn't mean that I always listen to God, either. I'll admit, it's hard. There are so many places where it can be the easiest thing in the universe, like when you're alone in your room, praying. And when you're at church, singing hymns to Jesus. It's like nothing else exists. And what about those days when you're at complete peace in nature, sitting in the shade, or by a quiet river? It's so easy to follow God in these times, because there's no controversy. There's not anyone in the way of you and your faith. It's easy.


But then, we have the rest of our lives. We're surrounded be people of all faiths and all opinions, constantly tearing us apart from our God, and who He is. We forget. We sin. We completely ignore all that we know sometimes, and we judge others. We make fun of others, and put others down.


I do it, too, people. One second I'm screaming Christian music in the car, then I step into a crowded hall where I can't help but judge someone on their appearance, or how they're acting. I might make fun of someone every once in a while, just to make myself look better. I roll my eyes at people, and ignore those who don't seem cool enough. I sin.


I'm not the only one, right? Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels this way. I feel like it's SO SIMPLE to believe in God when you're reading this devotion, or when you're listening to a sermon. But then, the prayer stops, and you're left by yourself to make your own decisions. You're overwhelmed by people who may hate you, and the only assurance you have had already passed when you left the Church.


So, how do we deal with THOSE TIMES? The times where we feel of little importance, and when we feel as if we're alone in the world?


First off, we slap our self on the forehead, because we just lied to ourselves. Those times when we tell each other "we're alone. we have to think for ourselves" is a lie, because God is with you in church and when you leave the altar. He's with you in times of joy, and in days of sorrow. So you can always start off by telling yourself that there IS someone who can help me through everything.


Then comes the listening part. Like I said before, in today's reading, the Israelites and their Kings were given plenty of time to change their evil ways. New Kings were chosen, the bad were killed off. You'd think that this would be a significant message to the people, but they just kept sinning. Not because their hearts were destined to be evil, because they were allowed to change. They simply didn't listen to the (many) messages God was sending them.


I read this and thought "These Israelites are stupid! I can't believe they didn't listen to God!" But that's probably because I was alone in my room, alone with a Bible and alone with God. I'm sure, though, that when I head out into the world that I will make the same mistakes they did. That's what is so frustrating.


Unfortunately, I can't tell you an exact way of keeping God a priority in your life other than praying about it. It's hard to listen to Him sometimes, because he doesn't come out with a big neon sign and flash the message "Don't sin, Carly! It's wrong!" in plain sight. He gives us the decision to make our own choices, and to live how we choose to.


Will you choose to follow Him? Will YOU choose to make the effort to listen to Him, even when the world tells you not to? I really hope so. It's not as easy as it seems now, but I can assure you that God never leaves you, and He WILL give you the encouragement to move on if you put your faith in Him.


I hope that makes sense. Lemme know if I need to elaborate. Listen to Him!


Peace out.

Comments

Granny said…
It is pretty easy to feel God's presence when you are praying, reading scripture, in church, or with other Christians, but it is all the OTHER times it gets hard to feel his presence. Moral of the story, just keep in faith, pray, and practice it all the time to keep fresh.

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer