A Request by OfficiallyInspired (aka Hanna)

Hanna recently asked me about the Bible's take on evolution, the creation of Earth, the age of time... yadda yadda yadda. It's a very very very good question, Hanna.

Unfortunately, good questions can take a while to answer, so I'm sorry if what I'm saying isn't what you're looking for. I went to church tonight to ask my youth pastor, Nathan, what the facts were, and I wanted to know his take on the subject, too. Thanks so much, Nathan, if you're reading this. I really appreciate the time you put into all of us kiddies and our lives.

Basically, Hanna, the Bible is pretty cut and dry, word for word. So, if you're asking what the BIBLE says about the Earth, then literally the Earth is 6,000 years old, and it took God 7 days (168 hours) to create the Earth, and everything in it.

However, it brings ANOTHER confusing question up, about who the heck thought this up, and who could of written it all down, right? Adam and Eve were just getting clothing, so there's a seldom chance THEY could of wrote it. I'm not saying Genesis isn't accurate, because I believe the Bible is put there for a reason, and so is everything it contains.

But when I asked Nathan, he told me that it was actually Moses who wrote Genesis, and not because he had a time-traveling device or anything, but because God told it to him, and Moses wrote it all down. Unlike my devotions, this part has no faults, it's true... Moses wrote down the chapters based on what GOD told to him.

So, all the stuff in Genesis is from God. Think what you may, but I'm starting to believe that in honestly doesn't matter that much how many days the Earth was created in. In fact, Christianity has almost nothing to do with the days, or the steps it took.

Although this is true... there are some keys parts of Genesis that are really important. This is where it gets messy, because it's hard to realize which parts are what God wanted us to remember, and which parts are just-- ways to explain.

Does that make sense? God told Moses that Adam and Eve were given all they needed, but when they listened to the devil, they became sinners. The world was perfect before man messed everything up. That's important, that's KEY STUFF.

Another key thing is that God created man in His own image, meaning we are on the top of the food chain, and most important int God's eyes. We are, after all, made in HIS image. That's important, too.

But all the stuff about the world having a certain hours of creation, and a certain rule that things had to be made on a certain day-- is it really important? I think this is almost like a story to outline the key parts of creation. Maybe God said He created man on the 6th day to show that WE were saved for last, and WE are His creation.

Maybe the thing with Satan being a snake isn't actually true, but it's helpful to think of him this way to show how sneaky he is, and how he can deceive us.

Maybe God rested on the 7th day because He wanted us to recognize Sunday as the Sabbath.

It's the same thing with time, I think. God made PEOPLE, not scientists. No one will ever know if the world was made in 6 days, and God rested on the 7th day, or whatever. Moses probably didn't even know the exact time. But the bottom line is that it's not important. God told all this information for a reason, but maybe it was only so He could get His message across to humanity. Like I said, we weren't very smart back then. (Still aren't. Haha.)

Moses needed a story, something to back up his people and their faith. I'm not saying Genesis is all a lie, but it's put there to show people the key things in our faith, and that details aren't really as important as people make them.

Does that make sense, Hanna? Please let me know if it doesn't, I will NOT be offended. People are allowed to have doubts, I do all the time. We can grow and become better Christians if we overcome our doubts, so lemme know if you're still a little iffy.

In the end, time is just an idea. God CREATED time, so He should be able to decide what's important and what's there to back up the important stuff. I hope that makes sense. Thanks so much for asking that question, it made me sit down and figure it out, too.

Thanks to Nathan, too!

Peace out.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know it says keep it nice and all, but doesn't it seem wrong to base your entire faith off what one person said or one group of people have said? I think right now there is more proof of evolution and science then there is for any form of creationism. What about other religions? Are they wrong too? We are all atheists of the vast majority of all the gods that society has ever worshiped, if you understand why you reject all those, you will understand why I reject yours.

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer