2nd Samuel 17-19

Read these chapters at www.bible.com or with the BIBLE READER widget to the left of this post.

EASTER SUNDAY

Happy Easter, everyone! He has risen! I almost laughed when I read today’s reading, because it had so much to do with a Father’s love, and forgiveness. Maybe that’s just because I have Easter on my mind, but I guess that’s not a bad thing.

First off, I’d like to congratulate my pastor, Peter, for an awesome sermon. It kind of inspired this devotion, so I’d like to give him partial credit. But besides that, I think we can agree that today’s reading was very Easter-y. To me, Easter is all about forgiveness and rebirth. Rising from the dead. New life.

In yesterday’s reading, we talked about King David, and his son Absalom who decided that HE was a better King. Could you imagine David’s thoughts? He was doing fine as King, very victorious in everything he did. He was very wealthy, enough to support his family… and then one person came between him and the crown, his own SON. I would be pretty furious.

It didn’t stop there, though. Absalom created a whole army of followers that were trained to overtake David and his army. Absalom was just being plain old mean to his father. Kind of like a sin, because we’re supposed to honor our parents.

If you didn’t catch how this relates to Easter, I’m ready to explain. King David (in this particular situation) is resembling God. The first part of the trinity is God the Father, and David is a father of Absalom. Absalom is a sinner, and is turning away from his father.

In today’s reading, Israel (David’s people) were so dedicated to him, they wanted to stop the creation of Absalom’s people, and wanted to stop the hatred they had for King David. So, they created their own little army to fight Absalom. There is SO much violence in the Bible, I tell you!

Anyway, David (if he was stern and held a grudge,) would have been all “find him and kill him!!” But, he is a father. And everyone knows that parents still love their children, no matter what it is they do or don’t do. So, when David’s army set out to do some damage to Absalom… David only had one command, “Don’t harm my son.”

That’s what Easter is all about to me. Forgiveness, like I said, and this forever undying love. God is the father of all of us, and he (just like your father) will love you no matter what. It’s that simple. In today’s reading, Absalom was killed because the Israelites didn’t listen to David. David mourned for days over the loss of his son, and God does the same when someone sins against him.

But he will ALWAYS take you back.

What a perfect day to come back to Jesus. Like I said, there’s never a sin too big for Him. He will forgive you, and that’s the whole reason for Easter. Think about that today, and whenever you’re ready, you can be forgiven.

Have a lovely Easter! Tell all your friends that they too can be forgiven, and today’s the perfect day to start.

Comments

Granny said…
Happy Easter! This was good. What a great way to tie Easter in with today's scripture. I liked it.

Popular posts from this blog

The World that We Live In- A Prayer